Employer Academy Aims To Ensure IT Students Are Work Ready With Latest Technology Skills
Derby College has expanded its Employer Academy programme by teaming up with a Derby web and software development company to boost IT students’ skills.
iBox Security in Derby’s Cathedral Quarter specialises in website and software development for a wide range of industry sectors and currently employs 11 people.
The company has an active apprenticeship programme, offers intern opportunities to university and college students and works with Derby City Council to support IT and coding teaching through schools and libraries. Managing Director Sean Price is also a STEM ambassador in the city.
The iBox Web and Programme Development Academy is the next step in the company’s commitment to skills development, according to Sean Price.
He said: “Our industry faces similar challenges to those in construction and engineering. Although young people have the interest in and passion for technology, they often do not come out of college or university with the up to date skills that are relevant and viable in a business environment.
“Web and software development is fast-moving and are led by industry rather that the education sector.
“We therefore relish the opportunity to work closely with the College to ensure that students have the skills and attitudes that we need as employers.
“We will be offering masterclasses for IT students, work placements for Academy members and everyone will be guaranteed an interview for jobs and apprenticeships at the end of the course. We envisage taking on one or two young people as part of our expansion plans.”
The iBox Web and Programme Development Academy Learners joins a range of Employer Academies with Derby College which aim to boost students’ job prospects and address skills shortages in key industries.
The programme already includes:
- Atlas Building and Groundworks Academy: aimed at providing Construction students at the College with the multi-skills they need for the groundworks industry
- Cricket Derbyshire Hospitality Academy: which also provides Catering and Hospitality students at the College with potential for paid part time work
- Cricket Derbyshire Sports Academy: based at Derbyshire County Cricket Club – providing training and work experience opportunities for Sports students
- Derby Telegraph Media Sales Academy: giving Business students a unique insight into the demanding world of media sales
- epm:technology Advanced Composites Academy: introducing Engineering students to the rapidly expanding advanced composites manufacturing industry
- Huub Marketing and Product Development Academy: enabling Business students to be involved in Huub which is a growing company designing triathlon wetsuits for international markets
- The Finesse Collection Professional Cookery Academy: with Catering and Hospitality students working alongside top chefs at the Cathedral Quarter Hotel, Donington Manor Hotel and at the host of events handled by the company’s outdoor catering division – Finesse Hospitality.
Derby College Business Development Director April Hayhurst added: “Derby is the UK’s number one high tech city which includes thriving IT and creative industries sectors.
“We are delighted that iBox Security has come on board to ensure students are kept up to date in the skills required for the fast moving web and software development industry.
“The unique insight into the industry that the students will gain through the master classes and work placement programme will vastly improve their job prospects and employability skills and will ensure that they are work-ready either for this innovative company or the wider technology sector.”
Interviews with employers are currently being held and the first students will join the Employer Academies during September.
Recruitment for the Academies will continue at information events held at the College starting in October for courses from September 2016.
For more information about the Academy programme, visit www.derby-college.ac.uk or call 0800 028 0289.
Sarah Jenkin-Jones, Derby College, Tel: 07951 945665; firstname.lastname@example.org