Darley Abbey Day returns on 13 June: read all the highlights
The official opening in St Matthew’s Church will be performed by TV celebrity auctioneer from Bamfords, James Lewis and the Mayor of Derby compered by Andy Potter of Radio Derby, after which the Old Vicarage and Walter Evans schools and St Matthew’s Church Choir will sing in the church, followed by another selection of music. The day continues at various locations throughout the village with a range of activities, such as:
- Darley Abbey Scouts holding their Field Day on Dean’s Field and Darley Barn.
- Look out for are the Scarecrow Competition entries, “Darley Abbey’s Got Young Talent”, Sonnets being read by Shakespeare Society, Display by Hilary L’Raine dancers, exhibitions by a local artists and Darley Abbey Historical Society and the first ball of the local cricket match being bowled by a celebrity.
- There are competitions - Photography, Cakes and the Darley Abbey Bio Treasure Hunt.
- Various gardens will be open in the afternoon alongside The Village Attic Trail, served by a free minibus shuttle service.
- Meet, experience and share the pride in local businesses, services and people at Made in Derbyshire, Derby & Darley afternoon event.
- Of course there will be various venues serving food and drink throughout the day, as well as tasters of local produce.
The day will conclude with entertainment, a barbecue and licensed bar in the Village Hall in the evening.
Do get your ticket early as this event is sure to be sold out.
Available from: Darley Abbey Stores, The Cafe in the park, Friargate Framing and Sylvia Roberts on 01332 360690.
The proceeds for this year’s event will be shared by:
- Sight Support Derbyshire,
- Safe and Sound Derby,
- St Matthew’s Church and
- Darley Abbey Community Association.
Further details are in the programme, which will be on sale from 17th May, tremendous value at £1. Remember the all the money raised goes to local charities.